Tuesday, December 7, 2010

There is a Peace

Seeing as how I am the most inconsistent blogger I know, I might un-tag myself as a blogger and re-tag myself as someone who occasionally has a thought that he feels other people need to read...

In any case... I'm working on getting back at it with this whole blog thing. Specifically with putting up music for worship and working through the ins and outs of it for personal and corporate worship.

Today's track is from Sojourn Community Church in Louisville, KY. We sing a number of their songs at River City here in Fargo. We haven't done this one yet but I've been listening to and reflecting on this one over the past two days. Below you'll find the text to the song and a link to myspace so you can listen to it. (Sorry I had to link to myspace... yuk.) Then below that will be a link to iTunes where you can purchase & download the song or the whole album (highly recommended) and then some of my own thoughts on the song.

There Is A Peace - Charlie Richardson

Come, weary and tired, worn out from life
Step out of the shadows and walk into light
Come, sinner or saint, slave-man or free
Bring blessings and offerings, then you shall you see
Won’t you bring blessings and offerings, then you shall see

[Chorus]
There is a peace to settle your soul
There is a peace that is calling you home

You’ve been tempted and shaken, tested and failed
You’ve been so far from Jesus and too close to hell
Your vision’s been clouded by the world’s delight
But I tell you, you’re not of this world, so stand up and fight
He said you’re not of this world, so stand up and fight

There is a peace to settle your soul’
There is a peace that is calling you home
There is a peace, perfect and true
The Prince of Peace is calling for you

(c)2006

Listen HERE (click on "There is a Peace")
Buy HERE

~~~~~~

This a great call to response song. It sounds like Isaiah 55 or Jesus in Matthew 11... "Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."

Jesus' call to the broken is clear and strong... you are broken and needy and I am a good shepherd who will welcome you into my fold! "Come sinner or saint, slave man or free..." Even in this call to "come to Jesus, the salvation is initiated by the one who saves... not the one being called. That is so important!

Even at the end of the first verse where the song says, "Bring blessings and offerings..." You might be thinking, "now wait a minute... I have to bring something? If I bring something to the table of salvation it isn't grace is it?"

If you brought something to your own salvation... yes... it wouldn't be free and it wouldn't be grace. However, it sounds a LOT like this from Malachi 3, "He [God's Christ] will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver, and he will purify the sons of Levi and refine them like gold and silver, and they will bring offerings in righteousness to the Lord."

HE purifies and thus makes the offerings pure. They are not righteous because of their offerings... their offerings are not righteous before they are offered... they are made pure by the righteous one receiving them!

So good. This one is a great song of reflection on the Gospel and could be good for communion or after the challenge of a well-preached sermon calling people to Jesus...

I really appreciate so much of the music that is coming out of Sojourn. I'd love your thoughts?

JP

No comments: