Monday, July 21, 2008

Who is our true Provider

In coming back to my office this morning from a week of vacation, I had to sift through a good number of emails... one of them was an article sent to me about the economic crunch the US is in, and, in particular, the housing market and potential bail out of Fannie May and Freddie Mac (two large banking firms) by the Federal Government. (for those interested in things socio-economic-political... you can read the article here: http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/07/13/business/guarantee.php)

Now, before you stop reading because of sheer boredom I want to re-direct to a slightly larger perspective. The article is titles "A New American reality: The government as provider"

What is interesting is that I don't really think this is a "NEW" reality for us here in America. For many years now I have noticed a growing trend, both inside and outside of the church, of an un-healthy trust in government and politics to solve our problems (financially, morally, etc)

Now don't get me wrong... I believe, as a follower of Jesus, it is important for me to be involved in the life and operation of my country, and politics, and to be an influence for the sake of Jesus and HIS WAY in the world. That means, wise decisions about how government is run, who is elected from local to national offices who will uphold those Truths and values that are Biblical and upright...

My HOPE however is NOT in the 'greatness' of a nation, or in who sits above me in government or what legislation is passed... my hope is in God... specifically God in Christ Jesus!

Psalm 20:7 says, "Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the LORD our God."

Could we have a modern rendering of Psalm 20:7 ... Some trust in politics? or presidents? or congress? (gee I hope not?!)

Yes, have a voice and speak wisdom and hold Truth high in all areas... BUT we must remember that our powerful, merciful, awesome, God IS our provider for ALL THINGS!

Genesis 22:14 "So Abraham called the name of that place, 'The LORD will provide'..." (Jehovah-Jireh)

Blessings!

No comments: