Friday, May 30, 2008

Welcome to my brain!

It is easy for me to have a thought or idea about something but never take it past that simple idea. For some thoughts, it is a good thing that I forget... but many times there is a Biblical perspective that i don't take the time to unfold and try to better understand... and then I miss something.

those that know me know that I think "out loud" all the time. So, perhaps this will be a help to me and amusing (and hopefully challenging as well) to whomever takes a minute or two to chew on my musings here!

We'll start small... enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Which religion best fits you?"

I was sent an email with a series of "surveys" that you could fill out to find out what kind of person you are. Funny how magazines, pop-up windows, and email forwards are the first places people go to find out who they are... but I digress...

This particular one was fairly interesting so I decided to walk through the 20 or so questions to see what I could find.

All of the questions were based on my personal preferences... like, what I feel should be the natural response if someone hit me? Should I turn the other cheek? Should I respond "an eye for an eye?" "Never retaliate because violence is never justified..." For each question, the responses were varied like this and looking at each one, you could see the obvious leans toward certian religions beliefs.

However, as I finished up the survey I was reviewing the questions and had a bit of an epiphany of sorts... all these questions are about what I want, like, and prefer and have NOTHING to do with any kind of "higher authority" or some greater source of Truth than just me.

Therein lies the fundamental problem... if there isn't a standard by which everything is compared, what do we have? nothing. G.K. Chesterton said it this way, "if everything is art, then nothing is." The same applies to Truth.

John 8 shows us Jesus making some fantastic claims about Himself and they slapped the preferences of the religious and spiritual right in the face! "I told you that you would die in your sins; if you do not believe that I am the one I claim to be, you will indeed die in your sins.”
This isn't a preference question like, "do you believe there should be multiple ways to god?" This is a statement that says, "this is how things work... you got a problem with that?"

It points to this... is something True because I believe it? OR Do I believe it because it is True?

Incidentally i never got my results to the survey... i had to sign up for a magazine subscription or become a member of the AARP in order to see results...

for me: I want to follow Jesus.

1 comment:

Brett said...

Hey Jake, nice to see you in the blogosphere! I'll have to subscribe and check your stuff out as it flows from your brain! Hope things are going well for you...probably see you on the diamond soon